Chapter II: The Plenary
1. A quorum of the Commission shall consist of a number of members equal to the
majority of the members of the Commission.
2. However, seven members shall constitute a quorum when the Commission examines an
application submitted under Article 25 of the Convention and:
a. decides to act as provided in Rule 48, paragraph 2, or
b. declares the application inadmissible or decides to strike it off its list of cases,
provided that notice of the application has not been given to the High Contracting Party
concerned under Rule 48, paragraph 2 b.
3. Seven members shall also constitute a quorum when the Commission acts in pursuance
of the Addendum to the present Rules (Legal aid).
Chapter III: The Chambers
1. There shall be two Chambers set up under Article 20, paragraph 2, of the Convention.
2. The composition of the Chambers shall be determined by the Commission.
3. The Chambers shall be constituted for three years as soon as possible following the
election of the President of the Commission in accordance with Rule 6 of these Rules.
4. The Commission may make such special arrangements concerning the constitution of
Chambers as it sees fit.
1. Where a member of the Commission elected in respect of the High Contracting Party
against which a petition has been lodged is not a member of the Chamber to which that
petition has been referred, but wishes to sit on that Chamber in accordance with Article
20, paragraph 2, last sentence, of the Convention, the President of the Chamber shall be
2. Where members of a Chamber cease to be members of the Commission before the
expiration of the period for which the Chamber was constituted, their successors in the
Commission shall succeed them as members of the Chamber.
1. A quorum of a Chamber shall be seven members.
2. As a rule, the Chambers meet during the sessions of the Commission.
3. Where circumstances require, the Chamber or, when it is not in session, its
President, may decide that the Chamber may meet when the Commission is not in session.
Chapter IV: The Committees
1. There shall be Committees set up under Article 20, paragraph 3, of the Convention.
2. The Committees shall be constituted once a year. The members shall be chosen by the
drawing of lots.
1. The Committees shall each be composed of three members. The President of the
Commission shall not be a member of a Committee.
2. The members of the Commission who shall sit on the Committees shall be distributed
in three lists, following the order of precedence set out in Rule 4 of these Rules. Each
Committee shall be composed of one member from each list, chosen in the above order of
3. The members of the Commission who have not been chosen to sit on Committees shall
act as substitute Committee members.
4. If a member is prevented from attending, a substitute member shall sit in that
member's place. If none of the substitute members is able to attend, a member appearing on
the same list as the member prevented from attending shall sit on the Committee.
Committees meet during the sessions of the Commission.