Part II: Measures of Safeguard
Chapter I - Establishment and Organization of the African Commission
on Human and Peoples' Rights
An African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights, hereinafter called "the
Commission", shall be established within the Organization of African Unity to promote
human and peoples' rights and ensure their protection in Africa.
1. The Commission shall consist of eleven members chosen from amongst African
personalities of the highest reputation, known for their high morality, integrity,
impartiality and competence in matters of human and peoples' rights; particular
consideration being given to persons having legal experience.
2. The members of the Commission shall serve in their personal capacity. . . .
The Secretary General of the Organization of African Unity shall appoint the Secretary
of the Commission. He shall also provide the staff and services necessary for the
effective discharge of the duties of the Commission. The Organization of African Unity
shall bear the costs of the staff and services. . . .
Chapter II -- Mandate of the Commission
The functions of the Commission shall be:
1. To promote Human and Peoples' Rights and in particular:
(a) to collect documents, undertake studies and researches on African problems in the
field of human and peoples' rights, organize seminars, symposia and conferences,
disseminate information, encourage national and local institutions concerned with human
and peoples' rights, and should the case arise, give its views or make recommendations to
(b) to formulate and lay down, principles and rules aimed at solving legal problems
relating to human and peoples' rights and fundamental freedoms upon which African
Governments may base their legislations.
(c) co-operate with other African and international institutions concerned with the
promotion and protection of human and peoples' rights.
2. Ensure the protection of human and peoples' rights under conditions laid down by the
3. Interpret all the provisions of the present Charter at the request of a State party,
an institution of the OAU or an African Organization recognized by the OAU.
4. Perform any other tasks which may be entrusted to it by the Assembly of Heads of
State and Government.