Provisions Relating to the Functions of the Commission
Chapter XV - Promotional Activities
REPORT SUBMITTED BY STATES PARTIES TO THE CHARTER UNDER ARTICLE 62 OF THE CHARTER
Rule 81 - Contents of Reports
1. States parties to the Charter shall submit reports in the form required by the
Commission on measures they have taken to give effect to the rights recognised by the
Charter and on the progress made with regard to the enjoyment of these rights.
The reports should indicate, where possible, the factors and difficulties impeding the
implementation of the provisions of the Charter.
2. If a State party fails to comply with Article 62 of the Charter, the Commission
shall fix the date for the submission of that State party's report.
3. The Commission may, through the Secretary-General, inform State parties to the
Charter of its wishes regarding the form and contents of the reports to be submitted under
Article 62 of the Charter.
Rule 82 - Transmission of the Reports
1. The Secretary may, after consultation with the Commission, communicate to the
specialised institutions concerned, copies of all parts of the reports which may relate to
their areas of competence, produced by member States of these institutions.
2. The Commission may invite the specialised institutions to which the Secretary has
communicated parts of the report, to submit observations relating to these parts within a
time limit that it may specify.
Rule 83 - Submission of Reports
The Commission shall inform, as early as possible, member States parties to the
Charter, through the Secretary, of the opening date, duration and venue of the Session at
which their respective reports shall be considered.
Representatives of the States parties to the Charter may participate in the sessions of
the Commission at which their reports shall be considered. The Commission may also inform
a State party to the Charter from which it wanted complementary information, that it may
authorise its representative to participate in a specific session. This representative
should be able to reply to questions put to him/her by the Commission and make statements
on reports already submitted by this State. He may also furnish additional information
from his State.
Rule 84 - Non-submission of Reports
1. The Secretary shall, at each session, inform the Commission of all cases of
non-submission of reports or of additional information requested pursuant to Rules 81 and
85 of the Rules of Procedure. In such cases, the Commission may send, through the
Secretary, to the State party to the Charter concerned, a report or reminder relating to
the submission of the report or additional information.
2. If, after the reminder referred to in paragraph 1 of this Rule, a State party to the
Charter does not submit the report or the additional information requested pursuant to
Rules 81 and 85 of the Rules of Procedure, the Commission shall point it out in its yearly
report to the Assembly.
Rule 85 - Examination of information contained in reports
1. When considering a report submitted by a State party to the Charter under Article 62
of the Charter, the Commission should first make sure that the report provides all the
necessary information including relevant legislation pursuant to the provisions of Rule 81
of the Rules of Procedure.
2. If, in the opinion of the Commission, a report submitted by a State party to the
Charter, does not contain adequate information, the Commission may request this State to
furnish the additional information required, by indicating the date on which the
information needed should be submitted.
3. If, following the consideration of the reports, and the information submitted by a
State party to the Charter, the Commission decides that the State has not discharged some
of its obligations under the Charter, it may address all general observations to the State
concerned as it may deem necessary.
Rule 86 - Adjournment and Transmission of the Reports
1. The Commission shall, through the Secretary, communicate to States parties to the
Charter for comments, its general observations made following the consideration of the
reports and the information submitted by States parties to the Charter. The Commission
may, when necessary fix a time limit for the submission of the comments by the States
parties to the Charter.
2. The Commission may also transmit to the Assembly, the observations mentioned in
paragraph 1 of this Rule, accompanied by copies of the reports it has received from the
States parties to the Charter as well as the comments supplied by the latter if possible.
Rule 87 - Promotional Activities
1. The Commission shall adopt and carry out a program of action which gives effect to
its obligations under the Charter, particularly Article 45 (1).
2. The Commission shall carry out other promotional activities in member states and
elsewhere on a continuing basis.
3. Each member of the Commission shall file a written report on his/her activities at
each session including countries visited and organisations contacted.